Sunday, March 29, 2015

Inverted Cross: Interview with Roger Gallardo of Hellpreacher:

This interview was conducted in 2010 for a publication I wrote for as a youngun.  To my knowledge, it is the only Hellpreacher interview ever conducted, or at least the only one on the internet.  This interview was conducted with Hellpreacher guitarist Roger Gallardo.


1. Me:  To start things off, how did Hellpreacher form?

Roger Gallardo:  We were just a group of friends that wanted to jam. We all went to the same High School (Thomas Jefferson), and that was basically it. We were not the most talented, but we just wanted to jam and have fun. Actually Danny Martinez was a great guitarist. Rest In Peace brother.

2. JH:  Hellpreacher’s style of music often blurred the line between death, thrash, and black metal. What were some of the band’s key influences?

RG:  Onslaught (Power from Hell), Hellhammer, Destruction, Kreator, Bathory, Sodom, and L.A. Slayer. I think we did a cover tune by all the bands mentioned.

3. JH:  How was “Resurrection” received by Texan metalheads at the time of its release? For early ‘86, that was some incredibly heavy stuff.

RG:  We only made and sold a handful of Demos, maybe 50-60. They flew off the shelf, we also shipped a few to other states. We really should have put Bloodbath on that demo. That song was just organized chaos. I just wish we could have played more shows.



4. JH:  Now, there were three songs on the “Resurrection” demo. I’m going to name them, and I want you to say a few words about each song. Just some memories of how they came to be written, certain influences on the songwriting, trivia, etc.

RG:

Resurrection: Were were [sic] just messing around at Javier's and I came up with the intro, next thing you know we're thrashing away. I think this song definitely has some Onslaught influence. People really enjoyed the end, after the solo (by Danny) the song keeps on thrashing for a few more seconds.

Parricidal: Once again, I came up with the intro, and then Javier would just start jamming along. I think most of our songs were created in the same manner. Once again, some more Onslaught influence.

Inverted Crosses: Danny actually wrote this one. I am not sure if he had this one with Deathtripper or not. You can tell it is not like the other songs. Great tune overall though.

5. JH:  There are also apparently some unreleased live bootleg Hellpreacher songs floating around the internet, according to a Hellpreacher fan page on Facebook. Have you heard these bootleg recordings, and if so, what are your thoughts on them? 

RG:  Yes, I have. There is a song on there called Bloodbath. This song is by far my favorite. Rick's vocals fit the song perfectly and Danny had a very catchy solo. We played this in Arlington, Texas at the Radiation Dump. We opened up for Rotting Corpse, and after the last chorus, Rick Chavana (singer, a.k.a. Dog) jumped into the crowd and was moshing in the pit with the crowd. The crowd and other bands really got a kick out of that. That was probably our best show. I used to have that live recording, but who knows what happened to it.

6. JH:  What were some of your favorite local bands that were playing in Texas around the time of Hellpreacher? 

RG:  Some of my favorites were Militia (1st demo only), Valkyrie, Morbid Termination, Syranax, Angkor Wat, and Rotting Corpse.


7. JH:  You were also in Rotting Corpse for a while. What was your time in the band like, and what are your thoughts on the band’s recent reunion? 

RG:  I think it is pretty cool those guys are still jamming. We had some good times. The Dark Angel tour was cool. We had some great shows in Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. I still talk to Steve Murphy (bassist) every once in awhile, but it has been years since I have talked to Walt. I hear he got a sex change.

8. JH:  When Hellpreacher disbanded, did you ever think that the “Resurrection” demo would still be listened to by Texan (and more) metalheads almost twenty-five years after its release?

RG:  No, I still can't believe it. I have talked to people in Brazil, Germany, France, Spain, and they know the demo like it came out yesterday. They talked about specific influences heard in the demo. It is really cool that people still talk about it after all these years.

9. JH:  Are there any newer bands that you’ve been listening to lately, metal or otherwise?

RG:  I listen to everything still. Some of my favorite bands now are In Flames, As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Carnal Forge, Devil Driver, All Shall Perish (Day of Justice is the best song ever composed), and to lighten it up a bit some Chevelle (Editor’s Note 1/19/2015:  I can‘t say I like any of these bands, but to each his own). Of course I still listen to S.A. and L.A. Slayer, Pantera (Far Beyond Driven, Reinventing the Steel, Great Southern Trendkill), and and of course Mercyful Fate.

10. JH:  Do you have any upcoming musical projects coming up?

RG:  I still play and record riffs here and there. My 99 song digital recorder is almost full.  It is hard to find time now, especially since I am going to school full time and raising a two year old. If I really like one of my songs, I will record the bass and maybe another guitar. Once those tracks are laid down, I crank it up on the big speakers, get behind the drum set, and play along. If I can find some time, I would love to re-record the Ressurrection demo, with Bloodbath on there of course.

11. JH:  Thanks for agreeing to this interview! Do you have any last words you’d like to throw out?

RG:  To James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich - F- YOU!!!!  [sic]  Music is not about making money, it is about sharing your thoughts, ideas, and musical inhibitions with others.  Ed .12/30/2014:  Five years later this is still my favorite part of the interview.





No comments:

Post a Comment